Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato
The vegetarian recipe adventure continues with this Mexi inspired Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato. Maybe going vegetarian wasn't a big missed steak after all? Canned black beans are my go-to plant based protein, mostly because of their versatility and texture.
This recipe will serve 4 people, each serving will have 1/2 of a sweet potato, 1/2 cup black beans plus the toppings. When making vegetarian choices, it is important to ensure your meals have adequate protein, meaning your portions of beans should be 1/2 -3/4 of a cup, or supplemented with another protein source like cheese, greek yogurt or eggs, if you choose to eat those foods, lacto-ovo vegetarians for instance, choose to consume both eggs and dairy.
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (orange flesh)
1 can of NSA black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 tbsps olive oil
4 tbsps salsa
1/4 cup greek yogurt
2 tbsp shredded cheese of choice
handful of arugula or other mixed greens (per serving)
Roast your sweet potatoes, this can be a challenge, but here is a QUICK WAY
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees
- Wash the sweet potato with a rough cloth or kitchen srubber, cleaning the outside flesh well, pat dry
- Cut them in half, length wise, be careful, they are hard!
- Use 1 tbsp of olive oil per potato and rub each half entirely
- Place face down on a parchment lined baking sheet or tray (orange flesh down)
- bake for 30-35 minutes uncovered
- check if they are done by piercing the outside flesh with a fork
2. Once your sweet potatoes are cooked, let them cool at least partially before handling them
3. Take each half, and scoop it into a bowl, leaving the flesh in tact (like you are making potato skins) 4. Add 1/2 cup black beans to the sweet potato flesh and mash it together, stir in 1 tbsp of salsa
5. Take the mixture and add it back into the sweet potato skin, it will be extremely full, that's why it is called a stuffed sweet potato!
6. Sprinkle the top with cheese, and put it back into the oven for 5 minutes to melt. Add 1 tbsp of greek yogurt and a few shakes of your favorite hot sauce on top
7. Serve it up on a bed of greens or arugula, which has a nice peppery flavor. Optional: add a boiled egg on-top that has a perfectly runny yolk, this will boost the protein and add a rich creaminess to the dish.